Floatboxx pre-series with 4 free sample products
The Floatboxx is an aluminium controller box to house the Little Focer VESC controller between XR style rails.
- Compatible with the XR platform
- With 4x M3 studs fixed to mount the Little Focer VESC
- Compatible with the Hypercore 6-pin Molex and the XR 6-pin Hall sensor and 3-pin footpad connector.
- The Molex 16-pin battery connector is to be replaced by a M20 cable gland to feed through an XT60 connector and other BMS wires.
The pre-serie for sale in December includes 4 free items (details in the shop)
- connector cover
- cable gland adapter for Superflux
- sample of our battery box cable (2x AWG12 + 2x AWG18 +8x AWG24 in 1 PVC sheath, industrially produced)
- hall/footpad extension cables
The advantage of Floatboxx aluminium box compared to plastic boxes:
- Strong ! Does not break under heavy use
- Aluminium welded construction
- Pressed stainless steel inserts for the lid
- Aluminium sidewalls with M5 threaded holes to mount to the rails
- The VESC can be mounted on the bottom and fixed on the M3 threaded studs.
- More space for Buzzer, BMS, rESCue, extra Li-Ion cells...
- Easy access for DIY: Only the footpad has to be unscrewed to access the lid. No need to remove rails, bumper, connector cover.
- Waterproof (IP rating TBC)
- The handle remains available
- Mounting holes for 3D printed LED strip holder
- Improved heat dissipation for the controller:
- The box is completely made of aluminium allowing optimal heat transfer.
- The bottom of the controller box is in contact with outside air
- the foamrubber sealing is not compressed completely so the elastic properties are maintained.
- rails: stock, Thunderrails, WTF*, Varials (*requires some grinding of the large protrusion for the footpad thread on the right rail)
- bumpers: stock, BANGS, Badger bumpers* (*requires some grinding)
- footpad: stock XR, DIY footpads
- aluminum box with aluminum lid (both powderpainted white)
- foamrubber sealing
- all nut 'n bolts in stainless steel.
- M4 lock nuts and washers for the Molex 6-pin connector
- M5 countersunk screws for the mounting of the box to the rails, and the connector cover to the box
- M3 countersunk screws for the lid
- M3 lock nuts and nylon washers for the Little Focer
- 2 square spacers to fill up the gaps in front when using Bang Bumpers
- Floatboxx connector cover
- Hall/footpad extension cable set - 90 mm
- Battery box cable VESC: 2x AWG12, 2x AWG18, 8x AWG24 in PVC sheath OD 11 mm
- Adapter plate to mount a cable gland for Superflux motor.
The connectors should be purchased separately:
- on/off switch
- ø19 mm hole for the switch available from MakersPEV/Customwheel
- charge plug:
- ø20,5 mm hole for the Neutrik NC3 MPR-HD XLR available from MakersPEV/Customwheel
- 2x D-shaped holes for Switchcraft connectors available from MakersPEV/Customwheel. Standard MakersPEV/Customwheel are a little short (~100mm), ask them for longer 200 mm wires. Or buy an extension set from Floatboxx.
- battery harnass:
- ø20,5 mm hole for M20x1,5 or PG13,5 cable gland with lock nut
- motor: compatible with the Hypercore 6-pin Molex. Note that we designed for the Molex 6-pin with the gasket outside the box:
- We use metric screws and tools: M5 to mount the box, M3 to mount the lid
- Floatboxx is not waterproof on it's own. Total waterproofness depends on the complete assembly by the user. Do the Badgerwheel test to convincing yourself of the waterproofness of your build.
- Use a 1 mm thermal pad between the box and the Mosfets. The location of the VESC controller has no powdercoating for optimal heat transfer.
We opted to place the LED strip outside the Floatboxx in a 3D printed LED strip holder. See the picture below. This part is not included in the delivery and should be printed by yourself: 3D STP model of a LED strip holder v1 to mount in the front.
- Features: 10,5x4,5 mm slot for the LED strip. 3 mm gap to the bumper to glue a transparant screen.
- To be mounted on Floatboxx MLC with 2 self tapping screws.
- The vent-hole in the front of Floatboxx is perfectly placed to place an M12 cable gland. The hole only needs to be made larger. A new vent hole can be drilled on the other side.
Bracket for rESCue mini light controller:
This is a 3D model of a bracket to hold the rESCue mini light controller and buck converter inside the Floatboxx MLC. The bracket should be 3D printed by yourself. It can be glued to the bottom, or fastened with screws.